Schaefer: Cotto Also Has Option of Facing Quillin


By Rick Reeno – reported earlier that Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer had a meeting with former three division world champion Miguel Cotto (38-4, 21KOs) on Tuesday afternoon at the Golden Offices in Los Angeles. During the meeting, Schaefer offered Cotto more than $10 million dollars to face former champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (42-1-1, 30KOs) in the headline bout of a March 8th Showtime Pay-Per-View event.

Another option for Cotto, although far less lucrative, would be a middleweight fight with WBC champion Sergio Martinez. But there are questions marks on when Martinez would be injury-free, and whether the World Boxing Council will sanction the fight when a mandatory is due to Marco Antonio Rubio.

For Cotto, the main selling point in facing Martinez is the scenario of becoming the first Puerto Rican boxer to win four world titles in four weight divisions.

If Cotto’s heart is set on capturing a fourth divisional title, Schaefer says there is also the option of facing undefeated WBO champion Peter Quillin (30-0, 22KOs). The Golden CEO is confident he can put together a package that would give Cotto a better monetary deal than the boxer would receive in facing Martinez.

“If Miguel wants to fight for a middleweight title, and he wants to fight in New York, he can go and fight Peter Quillin……no problem. And by the way, he won’t have to go and split 50-50 with Sergio Martinez. That’s another possibility,” Schaefer told–71394