Terry Flanagan vs. Petr Petrov Will Have U.S. TV, Says Pelullo

imagespetr-petrov

By Steve Kim –

According to Artie Pelullo, the head of Banner Promotions Petr Petrov, will be getting another crack at a world title in the spring.

Pelullo confirmed promoter Frank Warren’s announced on Monday, that WBO lightweight champion Terry Flanagan (32-0, 13 KOs) would be facing Petrov on April 8th in Manchester, England – as part of Warren’s new television deal with BT Sport.

“Petr Petrov is fighting on April the 8th for the WBO lightweight championship of the world against Terry Flanagan in Manchester,” the veteran promoter told Boxingscene.com.

Petrov is a hard-nosed grinder who has a record of 38-4-2 (19 KO’s) and figures to be a tough out for Flanagan.

“I think that Frank (Warren) wants to make good fights for his network over there and in fighting Petrov… the WBO had ordered that  Petrov would be next in lieu of  (Felix) Verdejo fighting on February the 3rd. So Frank called me and said,’Do you want the fight?’ and I said absolutely.”

Verdejo is ranked number one by the WBO, but last year was sidelined with a motorcycle accident that kept him sidelined for the latter part of 2016. He has a tune-up bout scheduled next week in Puerto Rico.

Petrov, a Russian who his based in Spain, is the top rated contender in the WBA, and that title is being contested for by Jorge Linares and Anthony Crolla in a March rematch.

This figures to be a solid match-up and Pelullo mentioned – “the fight will be shown in the United States. We have the rights for the fight on American television.”

Flanagan was last in action back in November when he battered Orlando Cruz for a TKO win in Wales, while Petrov broke down and stopped Michael Perez last September in California.

www.boxingscene.com/terry-flanagan-vs-petr-petrov-us-tv-says-pelullo–112928?print_friendly=1

Andrade’s Promoter Speaks To SHO, Wants Lara or Charlo Next

demetrius-andrade (25)_1

By Steve Kim

Last weekend, Demetrius Andrade (23-0, 16KOs) impressively stopped Willie Nelson in the 12th round at the Turning Stone Resort and Casino in what was his televised debut on Showtime.  So what’s next for the former WBO junior middleweight belt-holder?

“Right now, Demetrius Andrade became in my opinion the number one junior middleweight in the world. Joe DeGaurdia and I always knew he was but he actually rose to the occassion,”said Artie Pelullo, who’s company Banner Promotions represents ‘Boo Boo’ alongside Star Boxing

.”He’s had two fights in two years and he closed the show by knocking bout Nelson in great manner. He closed the show the way a real champion does.”

Being with Showtime has opened up a lot of potential opportunities – as WBA/IBO champion Erislandy Lara, IBF champion Jermall Charlo and WBC champion Jermall Charlo are all competing on the network.

Given the above scenario, Andrade and his promoters want the belt-holders at 154-pounds.

Pelullo explained to BoxingScene.com:

“So right now we’re going to meet with Showtime and we would like to fight for one of the world titles. He won the (WBC) eliminator against Nelson. As we speak Jermell Charlo has to fight (mandatory challenger Charles) Hatley next. We’ve proposed to (Showtime Sports head) Stephen Espinoza (that we want to fight Erislandy) Lara or the other Charlo (Jermall, who holds the IBF belt) – and whoever wins the title, then that winner fights the winner of Charlo-Hatley.”

Regardless, the plan is for Andrade to get back on the horse as quickly as possible.

“We’re looking to get him back in the ring in October and we want to get him him a world title fight,” stated Pelullo.

www.boxingscene.com/andrades-promoter-speaks-sho-wants-lara-charlo-next–105744?print_friendly=1

Peter Petrov: I expect everything to go well and to win this fight

petrov-boxcino

By Miguel Maravilla –

Lightweight contender and 2014 Boxcino Tournament lightweight tournament winner Peter “Czar” Petrov (35-4-2, 17 KOs) of Spain by way of Russia looks to successfully begin his 2015 campaign this Friday. Petrov will take on “Hammering” Hank Lundy (25-4-1, 12 KOs) of Philadelphia at the Turning Stone Resort and Casino in Verona, New York live on ESPN Friday Night Fights. “This fight with Hank Lundy is a good test. We have had a great camp getting ready to get back in the ring,” Peter Petrov told Fightnews.com.

We caught up with Petrov at the Santa Fe Springs Boxing Gym. Working with his trainer Daniel Zamora, Petrov trained a total of two months. He began his camp in Spain and resumed his camp in LA spending the Christmas and New Year holiday on the grind. 

“Camp was good. We did seven weeks in Spain before I came to Los Angeles to work with my trainer Daniel Zamora and my strength and conditioning coach Max Friedman. The only thing I worried about was sparring because it was the holidays but we had great sparring partners and spent the holidays without my family,” Petrov said about his preparation. “The only difference with training in Spain is looking for sparring. It’s hard to find quality sparring in Spain, it’s no problem here in LA.”

2014 was a good year for Petrov as he began by entering the Boxcino Lightweight Tournament. Defeating his comrade Fedor Papazov, winning a six round unanimous decision in the opening round of the tournament. Advancing to the semi-finals Petrov stopped tall and lanky Chris Rudd in four rounds as he advanced to the final round of the tournament.

“Last year was the best year of my career. I always wanted to fight in the U.S. Thanks to my promoter Artie Pellulo/Banner Promotions I entered the tournament and won. Now I am ranked number three by the WBA and seven by the WBO,” Petrov said. “The tournament helped me. I am recognized now.”

The “Czar” faced the tough Mexican Fernando Carcamo in the Boxcino finals as he scored an eight round TKO. “It was one of my best fights, he was an experienced fighter but we were well prepared and the plan came out like we wanted it to be,” Petrov said.

He now gets set to take on Lundy, a gritty Philadelphian as tough as they come, who has been in the ring with former world title challengers John Molina Jr., Ray Beltran, Ajose Olusegun, current undefeated number1 junior welterweight contender Viktor Postol, with wins over former world champion David Diaz and current WBA lightweight champion Richard Abril. Lundy is coming off a split decision loss to Thomas Dulorme in a competitive match-up last month on HBO.

“I have seen Hank Lundy fight. He has a tough style, a boxer-puncher with quick hands and hits hard,” Petrov said. “I expect everything to go well and to win this fight.”

Petrov vs. Lundy will be a scheduled ten rounder. The “Czar” looks to open the 2015 year with a solid win to make his bid for a world title.

“There are great [lightweight] champions, Richard Abril, Mickey Bey, Terrence Crawford, and then there is the WBC title that is vacant. My dream is to fight one of them and win that world title,” Petrov stated. “My priority is this fight. If all goes well then it’s on to win a world title vs. anyone.”

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/peter-petrov-expect-everything-go-well-win-fight-276015

Pacquiao-Algieri grand arrival

83014pacman00t

Photos: Chris Farina / Top Rank

Superstar Manny Pacquiao and New York’s undefeated (20-0) WBO Jr. Welterweight champion Chris Algieri make their ‘Grand Arrival’ at The Venetian Las Vegas on ‘Day Six’ of their worldwide media tour.

Pacquiao and Algieri, along with their respective trainers Freddie Roach and Tim Lane, promoters Bob Arum, Joe DeGuardia and Artie Pelullo, and Ed Tracy, President and CEO of Sands China Ltd., are on a 27,273-Mile Media Tour, that began on Monday, August 25 at The Venetian Macao. The 12-day tour includes press conferences or public and private appearances scheduled for Macau, Shanghai, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and New York.

Promoted by Top Rank and Sands China Ltd., in association with MP Promotions, Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing, Banner Promotions and Tecate, the Pacquiao vs. Algieri world welterweight championship event will take place Saturday, November 22, at the Cotai Arena in The Venetian Macao Resort in Macau,China.

Pacquiao_Algieri_Las_Vegas_140830_006a

Pacquiao_Algieri_Las_Vegas_140830_004a

Pacquiao_Algieri_Las_Vegas_140830_009a

Pacquiao_Algieri_Las_Vegas_140830_008a

Pacquiao_Algieri_Las_Vegas_140830_002a

Pacquiao_Algieri_Las_Vegas_140830_011a

It will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/pacquiao-algieri-grand-arrival-258869

Photos: Pacquiao, Algieri Continue Tour in San Francisco

Pacquiao_Algieri_SanFrancisco_140828_008a

San Francisco, California   — “DAY FOUR –  Superstar Manny Pacquiao(R) and New York’s undefeated (20-0) WBO Jr. Welterweight champion Chris Algieri(L) make a special appearance on “Yahoo Sports Talk Live” with host Jim Kozimor(ctr) at Comcast SportsNet Bay Area , Thursday on ‘Day Four’  of their worldwide tour.

Pacquiao  and Algieri , along with their respective trainers Freddie Roach and Tim Lane, promoters Bob Arum, Joe DeGuardia and Artie Pelullo, and Ed Tracy, President and CEO of Sands China Ltd.,  are on a 27,273-Mile Media Tour, that began on Monday, August 25 at The Venetian Macao. The 12-day tour includes press conferences or public and private appearances scheduled for Macau, Shanghai, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and New York.

Promoted by Top Rank® and Sands China Ltd., in association with MP Promotions, Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing, Banner Promotions and Tecate, the Pacquiao vs. Algieri world welterweight championship event will take place Saturday, November 22, at the Cotai Arena in The Venetian Macao Resort in Macau,China.

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-pacquiao-algieri-continue-tour-san-francisco–81556

Algieri Arrives in San Francisco

thumbs_82714algieri002  thumbs_82714algieri001 thumbs_82714algieri003

Photos: Chris Farina/Top Rank –

New York’s undefeated (20-0) WBO Jr. Welterweight champion Chris Algieri arrives in San Francisco with trainer Tim Lane on ‘Day Three’ of his worldwide tour with superstar Manny Pacquiao. Pacquiao and Algieri , along with their respective trainers Freddie Roach and Tim Lane, promoters Bob Arum, Joe DeGuardia and Artie Pelullo, and Ed Tracy, President and CEO of Sands China Ltd., are on a 27,273-Mile Media Tour, that began on Monday, August 25 at The Venetian Macao. The 12-day tour includes press conferences or public and private appearances scheduled for Macau, Shanghai, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and New York.

Promoted by Top Rank® and Sands China Ltd., in association with MP Promotions, Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing, Banner Promotions and Tecate, the Pacquiao vs. Algieri world welterweight championship event will take place Saturday, November 22, at the Cotai Arena in The Venetian Macao Resort in Macau, China. It will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT.

82714algieri00t

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/algieri-arrives-in-san-francisco-258442

Pacquiao-Chris Algieri on Nov. 22

manny-pacquiao-1024

Photo:  HBO –

Manny Pacquiao versus Chris Algieri is a done deal.

Algieri and his co-promoters, Joe DeGuardia of Star Boxing and Banner Promotions’ Artie Pelullo, met for several hours on Tuesday and hammered out their remaining issues, resulting in an agreement that will see Algieri, a junior welterweight titleholder, get the opportunity to challenge Pacquiao for his welterweight world title.

The fight will take place Nov. 22 (HBO PPV) at the Cotai Arena at the Venetian Macao in Macau, China, where Pacquiao also fought in November 2013 and easily outpointed Brandon Rios, the promoters told ESPN.com.

“I have to talk to my lawyer, Dan Pancheri, who will spit out the contracts first thing (Wednesday) morning so they can have a copy of it in the afternoon,” Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said Tuesday night. “We have a deal. On my end, it wasn’t a hard deal at all. I came up pretty much with what they were looking for and then Joe and Artie had to sit down with Algieri and cut it up fairly amongst themselves.”

HBO Boxing After Dark at The Barclays Center.

That is what Algieri, DeGuardia and Pelullo did for most of the day.

“We had a marathon lunch. We started out meeting in the morning, then went and had a long lunch together, came back to the office and finished it up,” DeGuardia said. “I called Bob to tell me we have a deal on our end. All the terms have been reached with Top Rank and we’re going to paper it up.

“We were able to sit down and go through everything Chris wanted to go over and put everything together. He’s gonna beat Pacquiao.”

Terms were not disclosed but DeGuardia said Algieri (20-0, 8 KOs) will earn a career-high payday of more than $1 million. It will be more than 10 times his previous biggest purse, which was $100,000 for his upset split decision win against Ruslan Provodnikov to win a junior welterweight world title on June 14 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Eleven months ago the 30-year-old Algieri was unknown and not even fighting regularly on televised cards. Now he is fighting one of the most famous fighters on the planet for a world title and a seven-figure payday.

“He’s very happy. He’s happy for the opportunity,” DeGuardia said. “I’m ecstatic we’ve been able to give him this. It’s a great feeling. You work hard you develop him up the ranks. He fought off TV for a long time, he got on TV and now this. It’s really rewarding to see him get this opportunity and a payday that will change his life.

“He’s wants the fight and has no problem going up in weight. He wants the welterweight championship. He wants challenges. He loves the idea. He wanted to fight for another championship and he loves that he is fighting Manny Pacquiao for it. He looks as Manny as an elite of the game. He wants to climb another mountain. If he wins this fight, you have the start of another era.”

Algieri, from the Long Island, New York, town of Huntington, got knocked down twice by Provodnikov in the first round and persevered through a grotesquely swollen right eye for most of the fight. He also has a background different from most boxers.

A former kickboxer, Algieri grew up in a middle class family, went to college and eventually earned a master’s degree. He says he wants to go to medical school when he is done with his boxing career. He also works as a nutritionist.

“I think it’s an interesting fight between him and Manny,” Arum said. “I’m excited. This is a college-educated kid, a good boxer, the kind of kid who will draw interest other than the just the hard core boxing fan,” Arum said. “And the kid can also fight.”

Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 KOs), the 35-year-old Filipino icon, has won world titles in a record eight weight classes. On April 12 in Las Vegas, Pacquiao convincingly outpointed Timothy Bradley Jr. to regain the welterweight title he had lost to Bradley in June 2012 in a fight in which Bradley received a split decision in one of the most controversial calls in boxing history.

1397369689000-USP-Boxing-Timothy-Bradley-Jr-vs-Manny-Pacquiao-010

Pacquiao and Arum have had terms in place for his next fight since Pacquiao signed a two-year extension with Top Rank in May that will take him through 2016 with the company that has promoted him since 2005. Although terms for the fight with Algieri were not disclosed, Pacquiao has been making in the $20-million-plus range for recent fights.

Although the business side of Pacquiao’s next fight has been set, he didn’t know who he would be fighting. Arum said Pacquiao called him on Monday morning to check in on his health — Arum is recovering from a recent knee replacement surgery — and they also talked about Algieri since Arum was getting close to a deal.

“Manny is 100 percent for it,” Arum said. “I told him I was coming along with it. He said Algieri seems like a nice young man and he saw his fight with Provodnikov. Manny said he thought it would be a good fight and he was OK with fighting Algieri.”

Pacquiao could be motivated for the fight by wanting to seek revenge for his beloved trainer, Hall of Famer Freddie Roach, who is also Provodnikov’s trainer and was on the losing end of that in that June upset.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11221114/manny-pacquiao-fight-chris-algieri-china-nov-22

Provodnikov’s Return Eyed For June 14, Rios is Unlikely

Provodnikov_Wildcard_130308_001a

By Rick Reeno –

The return of WBO junior welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov (23-2, 16KOs) is being targeted for June 14th, on HBO, according to his promoter Artie Pelullo of Banner Promotions.

The “Siberian Rocky” is looking to pick up right where he left off, with his career-defining 2013. After having a “Fight of The Year” battle with WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley in March, Provodnikov returned in October to stop Mike Alvarado in ten rounds to capture then WBO title.

Most fans were hoping that Provodnikov would face Brandon Rios, but Pelullo tells BoxingScene.com that a Rios fight is unlikely due to weight. Provodnikov wants to defend his title, and Pelullo was informed that Rios is unable to get down to 140-pounds.

Pelullo tells BoxingScene that his company will be looking very closely at the outcome of April’s rematch between Manny Pacquiao and Bradley. Provodnikov was in the running to face Pacquiao, who ultimately decided on Bradley. And a rematch with Bradley is also at the top of Provodnikov’s wish list.

http://www.boxingscene.com/provodnikovs-return-eyed-june-14-rios-unlikely–74866