Jessie Magdaleno vs. Cesar Juarez Clash is Close For October

By Miguel Rivera

At the negotiating table is the potential showdown between World Boxing Organization Junior Featherweight champion Jessie Magdaleno and mandatory challenger Cesar ‘Corazón’ Juarez of Mexico, tentatively scheduled for October 31.

Luis Zápari, promoter of Juarez, reveals that an agreement is in place, but some details are missing, such as the television network and the venue, which is why Juárez is already preparing in Mexico City for his second championship fight.

Juarez has previously challenged for a title against Nonito Donaire in Puerto Rico and that resulted in tough defeat for him – in one of the better fights of the year.

Magdaleno (25-0, 18 KO’s), who is managed by Frank Espinoza and promoted by Top Rank, won the WBO Junior Featherweight title from Donaire in an exciting fight that he fought with a touch of intelligence and boxing ability.

“The fight is almost done, we spoke to the promoter, the fighters have agreed and only the signatures are missing. There are details to solve but it seems that the most important thing is already done,” Zápari said to ESPN Deportes. “The fight will take place in the United States, but that’s no problem because Cesar will go anywhere to fight for the championship.”

Magdaleno’s first defense was made in April when he knocked out Adeilson Dos Santos of Brazil at the Stub Hub in Carson, California, in two rounds, and now it is now time for him to satisfy the mandatory fight against the highest ranked challenger as ordered by the WBO.

Juarez, meanwhile, is 20-5 with 15 KOs, and would arrive with a three-win streak after being beaten by Donaire in December 2015 and then by Giovanni Delgado unexpectedly in March 2016.

However, he recovered by knocking out top rated Filipino Albert Pagara.

If a deal is reached, there is a big possibility that the fight will be broadcast on ESPN, thanks to the agreement reached by the legendary promoter Bob Arum and the international sports channel.

www.boxingscene.com/jessie-magdaleno-vs-cesar-juarez-clash-close-october–118775?print_friendly=1

Guillermo Rigondeaux to face Hisashi Amagasa on Dec. 31

Guillermo_Rigondeaux17092013

RING/WBO junior featherweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux will face Hisashi Amagasa on Dec. 31 before the latter’s partisan fans at the Bodymaker Colosseum, Osaka, Osaka, Japan, Rigondeaux’s manager, Gary Hyde, informed RingTV.com on Monday.
Rigondeaux (14-0, 9 knockouts) was last in action for a first-round knockout of Sod Kokietgym on a Top Rank Promotions card in Macau, China in July.

Amagasa (28-4-2, 19 KOs) has won 13 consecutive fights, seven by knockout, including stoppages in his past three bouts. Amagasa, 29, is coming off last month’s 12th round technical knockout of Ryo Takenaka. Amagasa last suffered defeat by unanimous decision to Ryol Li Lee in June 2010 but avenged that loss by unanimous decision in October 2013.

Rigondeaux, 34, ended a 36-0-1 unbeaten streak for Kokietgym and was coming off consecutive unanimous decisions over Nonito Donaire in April 2013 and Joseph Agbeko in December.

Rigondeaux won the RING and WBO titles against Donaire and the WBA title against Rico Ramos in January 2012 in his ninth pro bout.

Hyde said he would much rather see Rigondeaux against Carl Frampton, Leo Santa Cruz or Scott Quigg, all ranked Nos. 1, 2 and 3 by THE RING behind Rigondeaux at 122 pounds. Frampton is the IBF titleholder and Santa Cruz, the WBC beltholder. Quigg is 30-0-2 with 22 knockouts.

“Unfortunately the only fighters who are prepared to challenge ‘Rigo’ are Asian fighters,” said Hyde during an interview with RingTV.com. “Santa Cruz. Frampton and Quigg want no part of him so, Asia, here we come again.”

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/367803-guillermo-rigondeaux-to-face-hisashi-amagasa-on-dec-31