Notes: Lee eyes fall return and big names

i Andy Lee hasn’t fought since December, but the former middleweight titlist is ready to get back in the ring this fall. Chris Farina/Top Rank

A few notes from around the boxing world:

  • Former middleweight world titleholder Andy Lee (34-3-1, 24 KOs) told ESPN.com he hopes to return to the ring this fall. “I haven’t anything in the works at the moment but I hope to return in the fall,” he said. “I took a little time off as the last three years have been intense. Now I’m looking forward to returning to the ring refreshed. I’ve kept ticking over in the gym and when I return I’d like to fight [secondary titleholder] Danny Jacobs or have a rematch with [titleholder Billy Joe] Saunders. My ultimate goal is to regain a title and challenge [Gennady Golovkin].” In December, Lee, of Ireland, got knocked down twice in the third round by Saunders and lost his title by majority decision. In 2014, Lee, 32, was scheduled to challenge Golovkin for his title but when Golovkin’s father died — just as the deal was being wrapped up — the fight was canceled while Golovkin returned home to Kazakhstan for his father’s funeral and to be with his family.
  • The date is set for the fight between cruiserweight world titleholder Krzysztof Glowacki and mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk. There had been two options, but it will take place Sept. 17 at Ergo Arena in Gdansk, Poland, organizers announced on Wednesday. The sides made a deal two weeks ago to avoid a purse bid for the fight, which shapes up as an action-packed match. The 29-year-old Glowacki (26-0, 16 KOs), of Poland, who won the belt in dramatic comeback fashion by knocking out long-reigning titleholder Marco Huck in the 11th round last August, will be making his second defense. Usyk (9-0, 9 KOs), 29, who won the 2012 Olympic heavyweight gold medal for Ukraine, has moved quickly as a professional but will be taking a big step up in competition against Glowacki.
  • All-Star Boxing promoter Tuto Zabala announced that he has signed featherweight Matias Adrian Rueda (26-0, 23 KOs), of Argentina, to a promotional agreement. The 28-year-old is scheduled to face Mexico’s Oscar Valdez (19-0, 17 KOs) for a vacant world title July 23 (HBO PPV) on the Terence Crawford-Viktor Postol card at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. “I’m thrilled to have signed with Tuto’s company,” Rueda said. “[Zabala and] Mario Margossian of Argentina Boxing Promotions will take my career to another level in the United States.” Said Zabala: “We had Matias on a ‘Boxeo Telemundo’ show last October and he looked impressive. Working with him and longtime friend Mario Margossian made it a no-brainer. He will be the next world champion of Argentina.”

www.espn.com.au/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/16209/notes-andy-lee-eyes-fall-return-and-big-names

Pequeño Pacman invadirá boxeo de EE.UU.

LITTLEPACMANPIC

El invicto prospecto Joebert “Pequeño Pacman” Álvarez, de Filipinas, recientemente firmó contrato con Tuto Zabala Jr, de All Star Boxing Inc. y está listo para ingresar al mercado boxístico de los Estados Unidos.

Álvarez, de 23 años y oriundo de General Santos, está ubicado #10 OMB y #11 AMB. En su última pelea derrotó en el segundo episodio a Ronerex Dalut el pasado 26 de octubre en el Elorde Sports Complex de Paraneque City, Filipinas.

Actualmente posee un record de 13-0-1, con 6 KOs.

“Estamos felices de haber firmado a un joven prospecto como “Pequeño Pacman” y estaremos listos para trabajar con Nonito Donaire Sr. y su manejador Vinny Scolpino. Tenemos un equipo perfecto y apuntamos a una oportunidad mundialista en el futuro cercano”, comentó el promotor Zabala.

Tan pronto como este lista su visa de trabajo, Álvarez viajará a Estados Unidos para entrenar bajo la tutela de Nonito Donaire Sr y del manager Vinny Scolpino. El filipino será compañero de equipo del clasificado mundial #8 OMB y #10 AMB, Marvin “Chavacano Disaster” Mabait (19-1-2, 12 KOs), quien recientemente detuvo a Johnny “Laberinto” Garcia en el mismísimo primer asalto, en lo que fue su exitoso debuto en la serie Boxeo Telemundo.

http://www.notifight.com/artman2/publish/Reporte_7/Peque_o_Pacman_invadir_boxeo_de_EE_UU.php

Aalan Martinez Goes For WBO Regional Strap in Tampa

Alan-martinez_omblatino

By Jake Donovan

On the heels of the news of recent conqueror Orlando Cruz contending for a major title, Aalan Martinez hopes his own next ring appearance will lead to a possible shot at redemption down the road.

The featherweight prospect isn’t taking the easy way, however. Martinez returns to the ring this weekend, back on Telemundo and in an opponent’s hometown, as he heads to Tampa to take on local favorite Charlie Serrano.

The bout headlines at the A La Carte Event Pavilion in Tampa, with the show rapidly approaching sold-out status at the box office.

Martinez (14-2, 10KO) returned to the ring this past March following a nine-month layoff. The results proved miserable, suffering four knockdowns en route to a sixth round stoppage against Cruz, who has since agreed to terms to face Orlando Salido for a vacant featherweight title in October.

The consolation prize for Martinez is a chance to claim the same regional title that was at stake in his aforementioned bout with Cruz. It’s not an insurmountable task. Serrano (15-3-1, 4KO) comes in as the crowd favorite – Friday will mark his 17th appearance at the hosting venue. However, he is not necessarily an overwhelming in-ring favorite.

The Tampa-based featherweight hasn’t fought at all in 2013, and hasn’t beaten a fighter with a winning record in nearly two years. His last win came ten months ago at his favorite venue, with that victory serving as a bounce back from a close but clear points loss to unbeaten prospect Camilo Perez in March ’12.

Friday’s show marks the final leg of a four-week stretch which served as the summer season for Boxeo Telemundo. The long-running series embraced a new format beginning this year, airing in three separate stretches of four consecutive weeks each rather than one show per month.

The format change has promoter Tuto Zabala bouncing back and forth between Florida and Mexico, but has proven successful. Ratings are on the rise, and every show has been well attended.

UNDERCARD AND TICKET INFO

Unbeaten prospect Alexei Collado (16-0, 15KO) tops an undercard otherwise loaded with local talent. Collado’s opponent has yet to be announced.

Also appearing on the show are local favorites Alphonso Black (6-0-1, 3KO), Radivoje Kalajdzic (10-0, 7KO), Noemi Bosque (1-0-1, 0KO), Sullivan Barrera (9-0, 6KO), Manny Woods (10-3-1, 4 KO) and debutant Ricky Tomlinson.

The official weigh-in will take place on Thursday at the Wing House (7790 US 19 N, Pinellas Park, Florida). The festivities kick off at 5:00PM local time and are open to the public.

Tickets are nearly sold out, but remaining seats can be purchased by calling the box office at (813) 842-0338. Doors open on Friday at 7:30pm, with the first bout set to take place at 8:00pm. The televised portion of the show airs live at 11:35PM ET.

http://www.boxingscene.com/aalan-martinez-goes-wbo-regional-strap-tampa–67486

Peleas de título en Nicaragua

639x360_1366946976_Reunion BoxBP9

Por:  Osman Rosales Cruz –

Durante conferencia de prensa realizada ayer en el Casino Pharaohs, el presidente de la Organización Mundial de Boxeo (OMB), el puertorriqueño Francisco Valcárcel, aseguró el gran interés de esa entidad por rendir homenaje a la máxima gloria del pugilismo nica, Alexis Argüello, con un show que incluya dos peleas de título del orbe.

El primer combate de esa magnitud sería entre el japonés y retador Tomoki Kameda, 27 (18 KO)-0, contra el monarca originario de Namibia, Paulus Ambunda, 20 (10 KO)-0, quien se apoderó del cinturón gallo (118 libras) OMB el pasado 2 de marzo, contra Pungluang Sor, por decisión unánime. Aquí el retador oficial es el nica Randy Caballero, quien aguardaría al ganador si se realiza esta reyerta.

La segunda sería la de Carlos “Chocorroncito” Buitrago, 24 (15 KO)-0, quien retaría al campeón mínimo (105 libras), el filipino Merlito Sabillo, 21 (11 KO)-0, quien noqueó en ocho asaltos al colombiano Luis de la Rosa el pasado 9 de marzo.

“Ya existen negociaciones con el apoderado del monarca africano y aunque escuché que no estaban dispuestos a venir a Nicaragua, tengo que hablar con el manejador del campeón, para ver qué pasa”, dijo Valcárcel.

Según el presidente de la OMB, a los organizadores de la cartelera no les costaría un solo centavo el montaje de esta pelea, porque los promotores japoneses se encargarían de todos los pagos.

En el caso del enfrentamiento de Buitrago contra Sabillo, según Valcárcel aquí se tendría que hacer cierta inversión para cumplir con la bolsa del filipino, y el nica tendría que ser más mesurado en sus pretensiones y aprovechar la oportunidad.

“Soy optimista y creo que se podrán realizar estos combates de título mundial. Ya hablamos con el Vicealcalde de Managua, Enrique Armas, para ver si es posible contar con el apoyo del gobierno municipal y central para este proyecto”, concluyó el dirigente de la OMB.

En la actividad también estaban y se involucrarían Silvio Conrado Jr. (Prodesa), Tuto Zavala (All Star Boxing), Ricardo Maldonado, los manejadores de Tomoki Kameda, que es su papá Shiro, y Ricardo Rizo.

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/deportes/284335-peleas-de-titulo