ALA gives upstarts needed exposure

 

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

THE up-and-coming young stars of the ALA Gym will get much needed exposure in a huge boxing event at the posh Solaire Resort and Casino in Manila next weekend.

 

Unbeaten prospects Albert Pagara, Mark Magsayo and Melvin Gumban will be featured in the undercard of Pinoy Pride XXIV – “The Future is Now”.

 

“We feel that it is important for our young prospects to build their confidence and to be exposed as they prepare themselves to headline Idol,” ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer told Sun.Star Cebu.

 

The 20-year-old Pagara (18-0, 12 KOs) faces one of his stiffest tests, former World Boxing Organization (WBO) Asia-Pacific super flyweight titleholder Isack Junior (22-4-2, 8 KOs), in a 10-round fight.

 

Magsayo (4-0, 3 KOs), 18, is up against struggling Roy-Roy Sumugat (9-9-1, 3 KOs) in a six-round fight, while 23-year-old Gumban (15-0, 7 KOs) is taking on journeyman Dino Lelis (10-11-2, 5 KOs).

 

Pagara, Magsayo and Gumban are all included in ALA Promotions’ roster of young fighters that will be featured in their boxing show “Idol.”

 

“They have the potential but only time can tell,” said Aldeguer.

 

Also in the undercard are other up-and-coming boxers taking on each other.

 

Genesis Servania (23-0, 9 KOs) is seeing action in the main event against one of his toughest opponents to date, former world champion Alexander Muñoz (36-5, 28 KOs), in a WBO Inter-Continental super bantamweight title defense.

 

Arthur Villanueva (24-0, 14 KOs) is featured in the co-main event against Mexican former world title contender Juan Hernandez (23-3, 16 KOs). He is defending his WBO International super flyweight strap.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sports/2014/02/19/ala-gives-upstarts-needed-exposure-329215

PINOY PRIDE RETURNS TO SOLAIRE MARCH 1

pp24.pc.140211.servania.villanueva.330w

MANDAUE CITY, CEBU – Blue chip prospects Genesis “Azukal” Servania (R) and “King” Arthur Villanueva (L) will be featured in the 24th edition of the popular “PINOY PRIDE” boxing series at the Solaire Resort and Casino.

Servania (23W-0L, 9 KO’s) will stake his WBO Intercontinental super bantamweight title against Alexander “El Explosivo” Muñoz (36-5, 28 KO’s) of Venezuela.

The official launching of the card billed as “The Future is Now” was held Wednesday noon at the Copenhagen Hotel and Residences. During the event, ALA Promotions Pres and CEO Michael Aldegeuer stated that this fight will determine if Servania is ready to fight for a world title. He said that Servania is in search of a career defining fight and Muñoz, a former WBA super flyweight champ, will certainly provide a tough test.

Muñoz has lost to quality fighters like Cristian Mijares, Koki Kameda and Leo Santa Cruz. This will be Servania’s second stint as a Pinoy Pride headliner and his first as a main event event boxer in Metro Manila. Last October in Cebu City, Servania, who was recently picked as the best boxer by the WBO, knocked out Panamanian Rafael Concepcion in two rounds.Servania recently arrived from his training stint in the U.S and Mexico

This is the second PINOY PRIDE event set at the Solaire. Last July 13, 2013, the venue was the site of Merlito Sabillo’s successful defense of his WBO 105 lb division title against Jorle Estrada of Colombia.

Villanueva (24-0, 14 KO’s), the reigning WBO International super flyweight titlist, will be the co-main feature against Mexico’s Juan “Churritos” Hernandez. Villanueva had a stellar year, beating another erstwhile undefeated Filipino prospect, Marco Demecillo by unanimous decision and stopping Mexican boxers Arturo Badillo and Edgar Martinez.

Hernandez owns a disqualification win against Filipino minimumweight contender Denver Cuello and a split decision win over Moises Fuentes. This is the same Fuentes who fought Donnie Nietes to a draw here in Cebu last year. In 2011, Hernandez lost to Kazuto Ioka of Japan in his attempt to win the WBC minimumweight title. He also lost to Ramon Garcia Hirales by 8th round KO last year.

pp24.pc.140211.600wL-R: Trainer Editor Villamor, Arthur Villanueva, ALA President Michael Aldeguer and Genesis Servania during Wednesday’s presscon at the Copenhagen Hotel & Residences in Mandadue City. Photo by Dong Secuya.

The undercards will also showcase another unbeaten ALA boxer, “Prince” Albert Pagara, who will fight Isack Junior of Indonesia.

Rounding up the undercards are Mark “Magnifico” Magsayo vs Royroy Sumugat (6 rounds), Melvin Gumban vs Dino Lelis (8 rounds), Vic Saludar vs Philip Luis Cuerdo (6 rounds) and Reyme Castillano Aleye of Cuba vs Justo Bornilla.

Aleye had an impressive showing against Rodel Wenceslao last month during the Sinulog Festival here in Cebu.

FUTURE CARDS

ALA Promotions CEO Michael Aldeguer also announced their plans for this year’s PINOY PRIDE events. They will have an event in Davao City this April 5 with Jason Pagara as the headliner. The venue of the rematch between Nietes and Fuentes is still under negotiation but if it will be held here, they plan to stage the event at the Mall of Asia Arena on May 3. There is a June 20 event penned for Dubai and a July card in San Diego.The California State Athletic Commission has approved ALA Promotions’ plan to stage a boxing show there this year.

Does this mean there will be fewer big boxing events for Cebu?

Aldeguer acknowledged PINOY PRIDE’s origins and growth in Cebu and thanked the Cebu media for their continuing support. He also stated that since Cebu boxing fans have been watching so many big events throughout the years, they have learned to expect higher quality match-ups. Cebu, however, is in need of a bigger boxing venue, bigger than the Waterfront Hotel. There is a huge arena under construction at the South Reclamation area and this could very well host the next world title bouts here in the country’s fight capital.

http://philboxing.com/news/story-91981.html

Sabillo impresses boxing association chief

images.champsabillo.3

By:  Ronnie Nathanielz –

Ricky Vargas, the president of the Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines or ABAP, was impressed with the performance of World Boxing Organization minimum weight champion Merlito “Tiger” Sabillo in his successful first title defense against Colombia’s No. 6 world-ranked contender Jorlie Estrada during the Pinoy Pride XXI at the Solaire Resort and Casino last Saturday.

Vargas, who watched the ABS-CBN telecast of the fights on Sunday told the Manila Standard he liked the aggressive stance of Sabillo as he “kept chasing his opponent, who was scared and kept running.”

Vargas said the crunching left hook to the ribs that dropped Estrada, who went down grimacing in pain and was counted out by referee Raul Caiz Jr. in the 9th round was “a perfect punch. It was devastating.”

Vargas believes Sabillo has a good future in the pro ranks.

The WBO champion is likely to defend his title in Dubai this October if ALA Promotions is unable to schedule a title defense for WBO light flyweight champion Donnie Nietes in Dubai in September.

ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer told us the priority is Nietes.

“He needs to fight. We are trying to move heaven and earth to get a fight in Dubai, but if it can’t be done in September, we’ll have to do it here, possibly in Davao City where the last Pinoy Pride XX was very well received,” he said.

Aldeguer also said he, too, was impressed with the showing of Sabillo, who made a fight out of it against a back-pedaling Estrada. Sabillo cut the ring off well and scored with vicious body shots before eventually knocking out Estrada.

http://manilastandardtoday.com/2013/07/17/sabillo-impresses-boxing-association-chief/

World champion Merlito Sabillo looking to make first defense of WBO belt at Solaire

merlito300NF1

Lee Jimenez, InterAKTV /

Merlito Sabillo will make his first defense of the World Boxing Organization mini-flyweight title in grand style on July 6.

Sabillo, who was installed as the WBO’s 105-lb king on the strength of his huge interim title fight victory in Colombia last March, is being targeted to face Jorle Estrada, a Colombian.

The spanking new Solaire Resort and Casino is being eyed to host the world championship fight, according to ALA Boxing executive Dennis Canete.

The Solaire casino has been making heads turn the past couple of months and an appearance by Sabillo there could be a game changer.

Sabillo is one of three reigning Filipino world champions. The other two are Sabillo’s stablemate Donnie Nietes (WBO light-fly king) and Johnreil Casimero (IBF light-fly ruler).
The Philippines is aiming to make up for the losses suffered by main fighters Manny Pacquiao, Brian Viloria and Nonito Donaire the past few months.

After Sabillo’s defense in early-July, it will be the turn of another ALA puncher, Milan Melindo, who will challenge Viloria’s conqueror, Juan Francisco Estrada for the WBO and WBA fly crown on July 28 in Macau.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/world-champion-merlito-sabillo-looking-to-make-first-defense-of-wbo-belt-at-solaire