Sabillo Expects Tough Title Defense Against Rodriguez

sabillo220130715

By Ronnie Nathanielsz –

WBO minimumweight champion Merlito “Tiger”Sabillo knows he won’t have an easy title defense against Mexico’s Francisco Rodriguez Jr in Monterrey, Mexico on Saturday in a fight to be telecast by ABS-CBN Sports and Action over the revamped Studio 23.

ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer told the Manila Standard that Sabillo watched tapes of Rodriguez’ fights “a number of times” and concedes “it won’t be an easy fight because Rodriguez can box, he is technical fighter who is smart and  can punch” as shown in his record of 9 knockouts in 13 wins with just two defeats.

Aldeguer said that he had spoken to trainer Edito “Ala” Villamor who will be in the corner of Sabillo and that he was informed “training has been perfect and it was the best training camp they ever had.”

Villamor told us that they have been concentrating on “the battle plan after watching tapes and doing some instructional punch-mitts.” He also went through the regular routine of skipping rope, shadow boxing., working om the speed ball and light bagging.”

In his strength and conditioning regimen Sabillo swam in the pool, some plyometrics, sprints, balancing and some exercises on his body to relax his muscles.”

He said they worked on the conditioning of the undefeated southpaw with strength and conditioning coach Nick Carson and that Sabillo who possesses a vicious left hook was in great shape.

Aldeguer said Sabillo, the 30 year old former street fighter from Bacolod City who is undefeated with a record of 23-0-1 with 12 knockouts “wants to make a statement and while it won’t be an easy fight Sabillo is ready to go.”

The ALA Promotions outfit didn’t take any chances and Aldeguer told us “ that’s why Merlito flew to the US to train abroad for this fight” both at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles and in the Daniel Ponce De Leon gym .

He said Sabillo has been “tapering down in San Diego and getting ready for the fight.” He will be joined by ALA Promotions vice president Dennis Canete who left for the US on Saturday night and will join the team to Mexico.

Knowing how dangerous a challenger Rodriguez is, Aldeguer said thay have “two options and in case Sabillo loses there will be a rematch.”

He said “we have everything prepared and if he does well it will be good for his career.”

Sabillo is coming off a close split draw against undefeated Carlos Buitrago of Nicaragua at the Araneta Coliseum last November 30 after scoring a one-punch, 9th round  knockout with a thunderous left hook to the ribs against Colombia’s Jorlie Estrada.

The 20 year old Rodriguez won a 5th round technical decision over Ernesto Guerrero who suffered an apparent rib injury last January 18 after going down by a 7th round TKO to Roman Gonzalez, the undefeated WBA light flyweight champion from Nicaragua  on September 21 last year.

Rodriguez also had two big wins prior to the loss to Gonzales, scoring a 3rd round TKO over Manuel Chango” Vargas on January 26, 2013 and a 5th round TKO over Victor Ruiz on July 13.

 http://www.boxingscene.com/sabillo-expects-tough-title-defense-against-rodriguez–75723

ALA pugs help in relief operations for Yolanda victims

999434_517750804988083_2124651242_n

By:  Dale G. Rosal / Photos taken from ALA Boxing Facebook /

ALA BOXING Gym stalwarts Merlito “Tiger” Sabillo and Donnie “Ahas” Nietes on Wednesday led a group of ALA Boxing Gym boxers in helping relief efforts for the typhoon victims in the Visayas.

582017_517504185012745_1656028514_n

The WBO minimumweight champion Sabillo and WBO light flyweight champion Nietes are set to face different opponents this Nov. 30 in the Pinoy Pride XXIII: Filipinos Kontra Latinos at the Araneta Coliseum. Both are supposed to be busy training for the fight but they took time helping volunteers at the ABS-CBN complex in Jagobiao, Mandaue City repack and load the goods to be transported to the typhoon affected areas in Northern Cebu and in Eastern Visayas.

1455064_517750711654759_1911423008_n

Sabillo even called on other aspiring boxers to help, saying what they were doing was actually a good training for the sport.

Sabillo will fight Nicaraguan Carlos Buitrago while Nietes will be defending his title against Sammy ‘Guty’ Gutierrez.

Joining the two champions were trainer Edito Villamor, WBO Asia Pacific and Intercontinental super bantamweight champion Genesis “Azukal” Servania and WBO International and Asia Pacific superflyweight champion “King” Arthur Villanueva. They were also joined by world title contender Milan “El Metodico” Melindo, who will also be fighting in the undercard of Pinoy Pride XXIII.

IDOL Boxing Series’ “Prince” Albert Pagara, Mark Bernaldez and Mark Gessel Magsayo also helped along with his brother Jason “El Nino” Pagara, Rey Bautista, Rocky Fuentes, Jimrex Jaca, Juren Labordo and Roli Gasca.

67007_517504121679418_336442930_n

According to Villamor, ALA Boxing Gym founder Antonio L. Aldeguer donated relief goods for the typhoon victims. /CORRESPONDENT DALE G. ROSAL

Nietes to headline ‘Filipinos Kontra Latinos’ event

060312_DonnieNietes

MANILA – November is shaping up to be a busy month for Pinoy boxing fans with Filipino boxing superstars Manny Pacquiao and Nonito Donaire Jr. both scheduled to return to the ring after suffering losses.

On Tuesday, the Pinoy Pride Series, presented by ALA Promotions and ABS-CBN Sports, announced its latest boxing event “Filipinos Kontra Latinos” with two world championship belts on the line. It will be held at Araneta Coliseum on November 30.

The Filipino boxers will be led by WBO world light-flyweight champion Donni “Ahas” Nietes, who has held a world title since 2007.

The other Pinoy boxers include:

  • Undisputed WBO world minimumweight champion Merlito “Tiger” Sabillo, who downed Colombian challenger Jorlie Estrada during the ninth round with a perfect left hook body shot for his first title defense at the Solaire Resort and Casino last July.
  • Milan “El Metodico” Melindo, who displayed tremendous courage despite losing a 12-round unanimous decision in the unifying WBO/WBA world flyweight championship in Macau against Juan Francisco Estrada.
  • Highly ranked WBO No. 4 contender Jason Pagara, whose quest for a world title is an uphill climb for this young boxer; and
  • AJ “Bazooka” Banal, who has a record of 29-21 with 21 KO’s and is currently No. 13 in the WBO bantamweight rankings, and comes fresh from his victory against Abrahan Gomez last July.

This is the first time that all five Filipino boxers will come together in one event.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/10/15/13/nietes-headline-filipinos-kontra-latinos-event

Sabillo, Nietes WBO Doubleheader is Eyed For Dubai

merlito.2013

By Ronnie Nathanielsz –

Ala Promotions president Michael Aldeguer is looking to stage a double world title fight card in Dubai in October in partnership with the giant broadcast network ABS-CBN whose “Pinoy Pride” series continues to register remarkable TV ratings.

Aldeguer told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard he is “really working on putting up something really big in Dubai” and is considering a mandatory title defense of WBO minimumweight champion Merlito “Tiger” Sabillo against Nicaragua’s Nicaragua’s undefeated Carlos Buitrago.

The 21 year old Buitrago has an impressive record, being unbeaten in 27 fights with 16 knockouts. He won the Interim title with a twelve round unanimous decision over Julian Yedres who was also undefeated at that time with a record of 21-0 with 13 knockouts, on July 20 this year.

He had earlier scored a 6th round TKO over Colombia’s Jorlie Estrada who was knocked out in the 9th round by Sabillo at the plush Solaire Resort and Casino overlooking Manila Bay last July 13.

Buitrago had also beaten Eddy Castro of Nicaragua  by a  2nd round TKO on May 6, 2011 and followed with a 5th round TKO exactly one year later. Castro is the same fighter who was knocked out in the second round by then minimum  weight champion Donnie Nietes in a title defense on August 30, 2008.

Sabillo who is a devastating puncher and an aggressive fighter has a record of  23-0 with 12 knockouts and was a former street fighter in Bacolod who moved to the famed ALA Gym at the age of 25. He is now 29.

Plans call for Sabillo to headline the card alongside WBO light flyweight champion Donnie Nietes.

Aldeguer said “we can’t prolong the wait for Nietes and we will discuss with ABS-CBN’s Peter Musngi the chances of staging a world title double-header and indicated there  is “a strong possibility” it would  happen.

Aldeguer said he was informed recently in Macau by Zanfer Promotions that mandatory challenger Moises Fuentes suffered a cut in his last fight when he scored a ten round unanimous decision over Gerardo Verde in Tijuana on June 28 and that since they can’t wait  until next year, Nietes who retained his title with a close majority draw when he first faced Fuentes last March 2, they  may have a voluntary defense before a Fuentes rematch.

He said that next year the plan is to set-up operations in San Diego, California and will study the chance to put on the Nietes title defense against Fuentes in the United States.

http://www.boxingscene.com/sabillo-nietes-wbo-doubleheader-eyed-dubai–68346

 

Sabillo vs. Buitrago WBO Title Fight Heads To Dubai

sabillo-buitrago.combine

By Ronnie Nathanielsz –

Nicaragua’s undefeated Carlos Buitrago will face WBO minimumweight champion Merlito “Tiger” Sabillo in the Filipino’s second title defense planned for Dubai this October in a joint presentation of ALA Promotions and the giant broadcast network ABS-CBN.

WBO president Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel gave us the information at a dinner hosted for him, Championship Committee chairman Luis Batista Salas  and  Mexican promoter Felix “Tito” Zabala  by ABS-CBN’s Gabby Lopez at the Intercontinental Hotel Wednesday.

Buitrago is only 21 years old but has an impressive record, being unbeaten in 27 fights with 16 knockouts.

He won the Interim title with a twelve round unanimous decision over Julian Yedres who was also undefeated at that time with a record of 21-0 with 13 knockouts, on July 20 this year.

Buitrago had earlier scored a 6th round TKO over Colombia’s Jorlie Estrada who was knocked out in the 9th round by Sabillo at the plush Solaire Resort and Casino overlooking Manila Bay last July 13.

Buitrago had also beaten Eddy Castro of Nicaragua by a 2nd round TKO on May 6, 2011 and followed with a 5th round TKO exactly one year later. Castro is the same fighter who was knocked out in the second round by then minimum  weight champion Donnie Nietes in a title defense on August 30, 2008.

Sabillo who is a devastating puncher and an aggressive fighter has a record of  23-0 with 12 knockouts and was a former street fighter in Bacolod who moved to the famed ALA Gym at the age of 25. He is now 29.

http://www.boxingscene.com/sabillo-vs-buitrago-wbo-title-fight-heads-dubai–68210

Sabillo impresses boxing association chief

images.champsabillo.3

By:  Ronnie Nathanielz –

Ricky Vargas, the president of the Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines or ABAP, was impressed with the performance of World Boxing Organization minimum weight champion Merlito “Tiger” Sabillo in his successful first title defense against Colombia’s No. 6 world-ranked contender Jorlie Estrada during the Pinoy Pride XXI at the Solaire Resort and Casino last Saturday.

Vargas, who watched the ABS-CBN telecast of the fights on Sunday told the Manila Standard he liked the aggressive stance of Sabillo as he “kept chasing his opponent, who was scared and kept running.”

Vargas said the crunching left hook to the ribs that dropped Estrada, who went down grimacing in pain and was counted out by referee Raul Caiz Jr. in the 9th round was “a perfect punch. It was devastating.”

Vargas believes Sabillo has a good future in the pro ranks.

The WBO champion is likely to defend his title in Dubai this October if ALA Promotions is unable to schedule a title defense for WBO light flyweight champion Donnie Nietes in Dubai in September.

ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer told us the priority is Nietes.

“He needs to fight. We are trying to move heaven and earth to get a fight in Dubai, but if it can’t be done in September, we’ll have to do it here, possibly in Davao City where the last Pinoy Pride XX was very well received,” he said.

Aldeguer also said he, too, was impressed with the showing of Sabillo, who made a fight out of it against a back-pedaling Estrada. Sabillo cut the ring off well and scored with vicious body shots before eventually knocking out Estrada.

http://manilastandardtoday.com/2013/07/17/sabillo-impresses-boxing-association-chief/

ESTRADA VOWS TO KO SABILLO

JORLIEESTRADA.CONTENDER

Colombian challenger Jorlie Estrada has vowed to knock out WBO minimum weight champion Merlito “Tiger” Sabillo when they clash in the main event of “Pinoy Pride XXI” at the plush Solaire vResort Hotel and Casino in the country’s “Entertainment City’ along Manila Bay.

Estrada who arrived after a long and tiring journey on Monday night even picked the round in which he would KO Sabillo, stating “I think I will win by knockout in the seventh round” in an appearance at the PSA Forum.

Trainer Edito “Ala” Villamor played down the prediction of Estrada stating that Sabillo had trained hard and is in great shape for his first title defense before his countrymen and is
determined to put on an explosive performance.

Villamor revealed they had taught Sabillo to improve his defense to complement his aggressive, hard-hitting style.

The Colombian’s boasts don’t actually match his record since he has a mere 5 knockouts in 16 wins with 6 losses compared to the undefeated Sabillo whose record is 21-0 with 11 knockouts.

Sabillo won the title with a rousing 8th round TKO over highly-rated Colombian Luis De La Rosa in an interim title fight in Colombia last March after dropping him twice earlier in the fight. Sabillo was elevated to full champion after Moises Fuentes relinquished his title and moved up in weight to challenge WBO light flyweight champion Donnie Nietes who retained his title in a close majority draw.

Estrada who is ranked No. 6 said he had trained for almost three months and is not bothered by the fact that the fight is being held in the Philippines.

http://philboxing.com/news/story-85030.html

Sabillo is Ready To Batter His Foe in First Title Defense

sabillo.miniflyweight

By Ronnie Nathanielsz –

Merlito “Tiger” Sabillo is ready to rip into his opponent, Jorlie Estrada of Colombia, in the Filipino’s first title defense at the plush Solaire Resort Hotel and Casino in the Philippines “Entertainment City” along Manila Bay on July 13 and has indicated he wants to put on a show in the first world title fight.at Solaire.

The fight card on the highly successful “Pinoy Pride” series of ABS-CBN and ALA Promotions will be telecast on Channel 2 on July 14 at 10:15 a.m.

The undefeated Sabillo’s trainer and former world title challenger Edito “Ala” Villamor told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard that the WBO minimumweight champion who has a record of 21-0 with 11 knockouts  is “in great shape and only three pounds over the weight limit which is no problem” with some two weeks to go before fight night.

Villamor said Sabillo was scheduled to spar for the last time this week on Tuesday (yesterday) Thursday and Saturday against sparring partners who include Philippine champion Jerson Mancio and OPBF champion Arthur Villanueva as well as amateur standout Jesrey Waminal “to improve his speed and skills.”

The undefeated Villanueva (21-0, 11 KO’s) will also see action on “Pinoy Pride XXI” against hard-hitting Mexican Arturo Badillo (21-4, 19 KO’s) in a clash for the vacant WBO Asia Pacific super flyweight title.

Villamor said the 29 year old Sabillo is “a really hard puncher and dropped Luis De La Rosa twice” en route to an 8th round TKO  in their fight for the Interim title last March 9 in Colombia after which Sabillo was elevated to full champion when Moises Fuentes moved up in weight  and will get a crack at WBO light flyweight champion Donnie Nietes in a mandatory title shot after one voluntary defense by Nietes possibly in Dubai in September.

Villamor disclosed that they had been working on “improving Sabillo’s defense and doubled-up  training in this aspect of the champion’s skills.”

He also told us that Pio Solon is handling Sabill;o’s strength and conditioning whie Abet Biagan who trains the Philippine triathlon team was making sure about “proper nutrition and the food intake” of Sabillo.

http://www.boxingscene.com/sabillo-ready-batter-his-foe-first-title-defense–67439

TIGER’ SABILLO READY TO STRIKE IN FIRST TITLE DEFENSE

sabillo

WBO minimum weight champion Merlito “Tiger” Sabillo is ready to strike in his first title defense against Colombian challenger Jorlie Estrada at the Solaire Resort Hotel & Casino along picturesque Manila Bay’s Entertainment City on July 13.

The 29 year old Sabillo whose career blossomed after he moved under ALA Promotions is undefeated and has a record of 21-0 with 11 knockouts while the 24 year old Estrada’s record is 16-6 with 5 knockouts.Estrada has won his last four fights after suffering a 7th round TKO loss to Mexico’s Pedro Guevara who gave IBF light flyweight champion Johnreil Casimero a tough fight before dropping a narrow twelve round split decision last August 4. Estrada is coming off a 3rd round TKO of Gustavo Cortes last June 8 while Sabillo scored a stunning 8th round TKO over highly touted Luis De La Rosa also of Colombia to win the interim title last March 13 and was soon elevated to full champion after Moises Fuentes relinquished his belt and moved up to light flyweight.

Trainer Edito “Ala” Villamor told the Manila Standard that Sabillo has “looked good” in sparring and is eager to put on a show in his first title defense.

Sabillo sparred with undefeated super flyweight Arthur “El Matador” Villanueva (21-0, 11 KO’s)who will face Mexico” hard-hitting Arturo Badillo (21-4, 19 KO’s) on the Solaire fight card presented by ALA Promotions in cooperation with the giant broadcast network ABS-CBN in its immensely successful “Pinoy Pride” series.

Villamor said Sabillo also sparred with Philippine junior flyweight champion Jerson Mancio Jr _17-3-3, 8 KO’s) and Engelbert Moralde (4-1, 3 KO’s) as well as an amateur standout “primarily for speed.”

He said they have been concentrating in recent months on their fighters nutrition and food intake which runs along the suggestions made by Angel “Memo” Heredia in the case of newly crowned IBO junior bantamweight champion Edrin “The Sting” Dapudong who won the title in a rematch against Gideon Buthelezi with a sensational 1st round knockout in South Africa.

Villamor added that Sabillo who had previously won the Philippine straw-weight title with a twelve round unanimous decision in August 2010 and the vacant Oriental and Pacific Boxing Federation minimum weight crown also by a unanimous decision over Rodel Tejares was in excellent shape and would have “no problem making the weight.”

http://philboxing.com/news/story-84459.html