Sadam Ali: Cotto is coming to MY territory

 

Sadam Ali: Cotto is coming to MY territory

 

Jr Middleweight title challenger Sadam “World Kid” Ali (25-1, 14 KOs) hosted a media workout at his gym in Brooklyn ahead of his fight against WBO world junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (41-5, 33 KOs) set for this Saturday at Madison Square Garden. “I’m really excited to be fighting at MSG against a legend. I know what’s in front of me, and I know what I’m stepping up to. I’m different. I’m a bit of a boxer. I can brawl if I need to. And I have my little tricks.

“My motivation is being on HBO, it being a world title, and my career honestly. People say I didn’t deserve this fight, but they haven’t been paying attention to my career. This is my hometown. I grew up here. Cotto is coming to my territory…he’s got power. I need to focus on not getting stuck. I worked a little bit with Danny Jacobs and Curtis Stevens for this fight…I want to thank all the fans who are coming to watch my fight! It’ll be a great one!”

Peter Quillin-Lukas Konecny to underscore Bernard Hopkins-Beibut Shumenov in D.C.

 

007_Peter_Quillin_Workout

By Lem Satterfield –

A Showtime-televised 175-pound unification bout between Bernard  Hopkins and Beibut Shumenov will be supported by Peter Quillin’s third defense of his WBO middleweight title against Lukas Konecny on April 19. The card will take place at the DC Armory in Washington.

“The fans in D.C. have been enthusiastic and supportive of the sport whenever we’ve brought an event there, and I know they will love this championship doubleheader,” said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, in a release.

“Bernard Hopkins continues to amaze everyone with his performances in the ring, but when he faces Shumenov, he’ll have to pull out all his veteran tricks to keep his amazing streak going. This may be the toughest test he’s faced at light heavyweight.”

In his last fight, Hopkins, 49, unanimously decisioned Karo Murat in defense of the IBF belt he won by unanimous decision over Tavoris Cloud to extend his own record as the oldest man to win a significant crown.

Hopkins first set the record at the age of 46 by outpointing Jean Pascal for the WBC’s title in May of 2011 before losing the belt to Chad Dawson by majority decsion a year later.

During an interview with RingTV.com last month, Hopkins said he was “itching” for a knockout, “because I haven’t had a knockout since 2004, when I knocked out Oscar De La Hoya,” referring to a ninth-round stoppage in September of that year.

Hopkins (54-6-2, 32 knockouts) has history in the D.C. area, having made his first attempt at winning a title there, falling by unanimous decision to Roy Jones Jr. at RFK Stadium in 1993.

But Hopkins later won the IBF middleweight title in nearby Landover, by seventh-round knockout over Segundo Mercado in 1995.

Hopkins went on to defend the crown a record 20 times before losing to Jermain Taylor in 2005. He made his last appearance in D.C. with a seventh-round technical knockout of Robert Allen in 1999.

“It’s no secret that my one of my biggest goals has been to unify the titles, and getting to do that in a city where I have a lot of history is the best-case scenario,” said Hopkins.

“I’m coming back to break another record by unifying the title, and I’m looking to get my first knockout since I fought Oscar De La Hoya in 2004. I know Shumenov is tough, but I’m tougher and I’m not going to let him make a name for himself by being the one to stop me.”

Hopkins was ringside in December when Shumenov (14-1, 9 KOs) ended an 18-month absence by scoring a third-round stoppage of Tomas Kovacs for the fifth defense of his WBA belt.

A 30-year-old native of Kazakhstan now living in Las Vegas, Shumenov avenged his only loss by beating Gabriel Campillo for the title in 2009.

In doing so, Shumenov established a record for the light heavyweight division by defeating Campillo in just his 10th professional bout. He made his first defense six months later with a unanimous decision over Vyacheslav Uzelkov, who had knocked out Campillo in 2007.

Shumenov will be making his first trip to D.C.

“I am very excited that the fight is going to happen against one of the greatest fighters ever,” said Shumenov. “I am going to do everything possible and impossible to get the victory.”

In his last three fights, including two defenses of the title he won fighting Hassan N’Dam in 2012, Quillin (30-0, 22 KOs) has scored a combined 11 knockdowns.

“I can’t wait to get back in the ring and defend my title once again,” said Quillin, 30.  “I’m excited to be fighting in front of the great fans in D.C. and I will give them a show on April 19. Konecny is an experienced challenger, and you can’t overlook anyone with 50 wins, but I’m going home with the title, and I’ll be looking for another knockout.”

A 35-year-old former title challenger who never has been stopped, Konecny (50-4, 23 KOs) will be after his third straight win since falling by unanimous decision to Zaurbek Baysangurov by unanimous decision in 2012.

“I have a lot more experience than Quillin, and the fans will see that on April 19,” said Konecy, who has fought mostly in his home country, the Czech Republic.

“This is my first fight in the U.S. and I don’t plan on going home without that belt. Every fighter dreams of fighting for and winning a world championship, and I am thankful for the chance to do that against Peter Quillin.”

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/323493-bernard-hopkins-beibut-shumenov-peter-quillin-lukas-konecny-double-header

 

 

Fantasy Springs announces next card

Next card a Caballero family affair

Fantasy Springs and Golden Boy already announced its next fight card, which will feature fan favorite Randy Caballero in the main event.

Caballero (15-0, 8 knockouts) will defend his WBO NABO bantamweight title against Manuel Roman (15-1-3) on Aug. 24 at Fantasy Springs. It will be Caballero’s 10th fight at Fantasy Springs.

What will make the night especially memorable is that younger brotherRyan Caballero will make his professional debut on the card.

By: Leighton Ginn

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120730/SPORTS03/207300310/Boxing-Notes-Fantasy-Springs-announces-next-card

Juan Manuel Marquez Will Not Be Fighting on July 14th

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Juan Manuel Marquez (54-6-1, 39KOs) will not be fighting on July 14th at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. There have been disagreements over the opponent, with Marquez pushing to fight southpaw boxers like Cesar Cuenca and Mercito Gesta.

Marquez wanted a southpaw opponent to prepare for a potential fourth meeting with Manny Pacquiao in the fall. Top Rank had initially wanted to match Marquez against undefeated Brandon Rios, which the Mexican veteran rejected because Rios wasn’t a southpaw.

There were even discussions between Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions to match Marquez against countryman Erik Morales, but again Marquez wasn’t too eager, telling BoxingScene.com last week that he wasn’t interested because Morales wasn’t a southpaw.

One source told BoxingScene.com that Marquez had yet to finalize an opponent – and considering the July date is only a few weeks away, there simply wasn’t enough time to properly promote a pay-per-view event in such a short time period.

MORE DETAILS TO COME…………..

 

By Keith Idec

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=53113

Koncz: Mayweather’s Not Out of The Picture

Michael Koncz, the advisor to WBO welterweight beltholder Manny Pacquiao, told RingTV.com on Monday that he is in Las Vegas to speak with Top Rank Inc. CEO Bob Arum about Pacquiao’s next opponent.

Although WBA junior middleweight beltholder Miguel Cotto appears to be the current frontrunner, Koncz told RingTV.com that WBC welterweight titleholder Floyd Mayweather Jr. is not yet out of the picture.

Koncz would not confirm or deny whether or not he expects to meet with Mayweather, who lives in Las Vegas.

“I am in Las Vegas right now having various discussions and meetings with different people, and we have not closed the door on Floyd Mayweather,” said Koncz.

“I’m here in Las Vegas pursuant to Manny’s instructions trying to finalize his next bout. No doors have been shut on any of our options to this point.”

Pacquiao has been targeted for a return bout on June 9 in Las Vegas at either the Thomas & Mack Center or the MGM Grand, with the possibilities being Cotto, Mayweather, RING lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez IBF/WBA junior welterweight titleholder Lamont Peterson or WBO junior welterweight beltholder Tim Bradley

Cotto’s advisor, Gabby Penagaricano, has confirmed to RingTV.com that there have been talks with both Pacquiao and Mayweather, the latter regarding a fight on May 5.

Koncz and Mayweather have been in personal communication since late-November, when Koncz made a visit to the unbeaten fighter at his Las Vegas-based gym.

Last week, Pacquiao confirmed to the Filipino TV network ABS-CBNthat Mayweather had called him in the Philippines from Las Vegas and that they spoke by telephone

The conversation with Mayweather “went OK, the talk about the negotiation proceeds forward,” said Pacquiao, adding, “I said that the 50-50 was approved and there’s no problem. Anytime. It’s in your hands. We’ll just wait if it’s OK with you.”

Mayweather’s version of the conversation differed a bit.

“He asked about a 50/50 split and I told him no, that can’t happen, but what can happen is you can make more money fighting me than you have made in your career,” said Mayweather.

“I also let him know I’m in control on my side, but he needs to get on the same page as his promoter so we can make this fight happen.”

Mayweather is slated to begin an 87-day jail sentence staring on June 1, and has targeted May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for his next bout.

But Arum and Koncz have dismissed that date for Mayweather-Pacquiao, citing their camp’s desire to construct a 40,000-seat, temporary outdoor venue near the Las Vegas Strip in late May or early-June to maximize revenue.

Pacquiao’s selection process began on January 10 in his native Philippines, when Koncz and Arum presented the candidates to him.

 

Photo by Chris Farina, Top Rank Inc.

Photo by Tom Hogan, Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions

 

by Lem Satterfield

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/171215-pacquiaos-advisor-

Eloy Perez: When The Time Comes, I’ll Beat Broner’s Ass!

By Ryan Maquiñana

Birthday No. 25 came and passed yesterday for unbeaten NABO junior lightweight beltholder Eloy “Prince” Perez, and aside from the usual gift-wrapped boxes and candle-laden cake, there was plenty to celebrate on the boxing front.

After only five of his first 23 pro bouts ended via stoppage, Perez (22-0-2, 6 KOs) scored a surprising second-round demolition of Daniel Jimenez eight weeks ago on TeleFutura in front of his hometown fans of Salinas, Calif.

The win garnered Perez some newfound attention by none other than his promoter Golden Boy, who then commenced arrangements to pit him against their other 130-pound prospect-turned-contender, Adrien Broner, for the newly vacated WBO crown.

Amid negotiations eventually falling through with some bad blood between the two beginning to boil, Perez has finally begun to turn a few heads in the boxing world, having been awarded NABO Fighter of the Year among other honors.

BoxingScene caught up with the rising contender, who along with assistant trainer Sam Garcia commented on negotiations with Broner, his recent power surge, and his upcoming TeleFutura “Solo Boxeo Tecate” headliner this Friday against Ira Terry (24-6, 14 KOs) in Salinas.

PEREZ ON HIS 25TH BIRTHDAY AND HIS RECENT ACCOLADES:

“It’s like I’m all over the place now.  I just won NABO Fighter of the Year.  I just saw myself in the Ring rankings.  It’s crazy.  To be honest, I just woke up, and I didn’t even know it was my birthday.  I’ve been so focused on camp.”

PEREZ ON HIS MINDSET DURING THE JIMENEZ KNOCKOUT:

“I was just happy to get through it.  Training camp was hard.  It wasn’t really about the fight as much as what I had to do to get there.  My trainers ran me hard.  It showed in the fight.  I couldn’t even sleep after the fight.  I pulled an all-nighter because I still had all this energy.  It didn’t even sink in until I got home.”

PEREZ ON WHETHER HE CAN SUSTAIN THIS POWER SURGE INTO FRIDAY:

“I think this time, I finally got a fighter who came to fight, and I showed what I could do when I’m given an opportunity to take advantage of it. I’m 25 years old and I’m still figuring everything out.  I’m getting stronger every day and becoming more confident in my power working with the Garcias and Dean Familton.”

SAM GARCIA ON PEREZ’S PERCEIVED LACK OF POWER:

“If you look at the previous fights, not too many people saw the Dannie Williams fight, and Dannie Williams was face-first on the canvas in the first round.  If you go back further, he stopped Juan Santiago.

“If you give Eloy a guy who comes to fight, Eloy will be able to show off his work better against somebody’s who’s willing to fight, willing to engage, and willing to put it on the line.  Daniel Jimenez came in to win, and not to pull a [Omar] Narvaez against [Nonito] Donaire or an Alejandro Rodriguez, who came to survive.  And when you have a situation like that, Eloy can use his speed and his power to hurt somebody, not just counterpunch.”

PEREZ ON MATCHING UP WITH TERRY:

“I’ve seen a couple of his fights on YouTube.  That’s my trainer’s job to come up with the gameplan, and mine is to be prepared.  I’ve seen some of fights of his, and I’m seeing how I can break him down.  I’m going to do what I usually do, and that’s counterpunch and be accurate.  I know he starts a little quick, and that’s it.  I’m just focused on what my team has planned.”

PEREZ ON TERRY HAVING BEEN KNOCKED OUT FOUR CONSECUTIVE TIMES LEADING UP TO THIS FIGHT:

“I really don’t care what he’s done in the past.  We’ll find out what he has in the ring and how hard he’s been able to prepare over the past few weeks.  If I see an opening, I’ll take it, and if not, I’ll keep looking to get my timing down.”

PEREZ ON STAGING HIS SECOND STRAIGHT FIGHT IN SALINAS:

“I think it’s awesome.  It’s always a positive thing for the city being able to have everyone be a part of it, and see what Garcia Boxing is all about.  I just want to represent Salinas as best I can.  We’ve had fighters like Chuy Rodriguez and Jose Celaya work with the Garcias, and now I just want to finish what they started.”

PEREZ ON FIGHTING ADRIEN BRONER:

“As far as Adrien Broner, I’m going to beat his ass when the time comes.  Today, tomorrow, next month, next year, whenever it’s time for us to meet in the ring.  When it comes to negotiations, Kathy Garcia my manager, my team, and Golden Boy Promotions—Oscar De La Hoya said they have bigger things for me—so that’s their job.  My job as a fighter is just to be ready.  I trust my promotional company and my team and my manager.

“And besides, why fight him now when it can be a bigger fight in the future when we both have titles?  It can be bigger than what it could have been.  We both have bigger fights ahead.  So to answer your question, I would love to fight Adrien Broner, but he also has to come fight me somewhere fair.  I’m not going to Cincinnati, and I know he doesn’t want to go to Salinas.”

GARCIA ON PEREZ’S ROAD AHEAD:

“I think we’re going to after the IBF.  It depends on what they say.  We love the WBO, and we’ve chased that prestigious title for a long time, but the way it’s working now, it’s going to be hard to work that out with Golden Boy having Adrien Broner in their stable and handing him the title.  It makes sense for us to go after the IBF title and Juan Carlos Salgado who makes great action fights.  I think that’s a fight that both of them could look good in, and I think Eloy would come in on top.

“Salgado’s got confidence in his power against boxer-types like Eloy.  I mean, he stopped Jorge Linares, so that looks like the most aesthetically pleasing fight.  The thing is, before we can get there, we need to get ranked higher than the top 25 in there.

“So we’re trying to get someone in the top 15 like Jason Litzau, Monty Meza-Clay, or Martin Honorio.  There’s been talk about Vicente Escobedo, but we’re talking with the promoters to see if he even wants that fight.  If we beat any of those guys, we’ll get a shot at Salgado down the line, then a unification megafight hopefully between Eloy and Broner in the summer or even the fall.”

PEREZ ON HIS TWO DEDICATIONS FOR FRIDAY’S FIGHT, ONE FOR BREAST CANCER AWARENESS AND ANOTHER FOR LIVER CANCER PATIENT SY SHERMAN:

“We have two dedications.  First, we’re fighting for all the people who have dealt with breast cancer.  Olaya Hernandez, who’s the sister of my trainer Max Garcia, and Malena Garcia, a family friend of ours, fought breast cancer and survived, so we will be fighting for them and all women who have dealt with it one way or another.

“About Sy, I read his story at lunch, and he’s a really tough kid who’s been through a lot.  He’s nine years old, and he’s already going through chemo[therapy] every few weeks.  For me, he’s a fighter, battling liver cancer, and having the courage to fight it.  He’s fighting for his life every day.  You don’t want anyone to go through what he’s doing, much less in childhood.  I’ll definitely be fighting for them.”

Ryan Maquiñana is the boxing correspondent at Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America, and Ring Magazine’s Ratings Advisory Panel.  E-mail him at rmaquinana@gmail.com, check out his blog at www.maqdown.com or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.

 

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=45421